10 Common Pregnancy Cravings demystified – You cannot miss the fourth one!
Why do pregnant women have food cravings? Are some cravings more typical than others? Why are they so specific? How are pregnant women’s cravings different from everyday cravings?
While browsing through the Internet the other day, these questions kept popping up – what causes pregnancy cravings, pregnancy cravings first trimester, pregnancy cravings meaning, pregnancy cravings list, common pregnancy cravings and whether it is okay to consume ‘X’ during pregnancy. Well, I consulted my wife about how did she feel during her pregnancy. Not surprisingly, her answer was in sync with the common answer – craving for something sweet. What causes such cravings, how does it make any sense, let us examine.
- Sweet: Chocolates, ice creams or any other sweet – the most craved by pregnant women. Old wives’ tales suggest that sweets make you happy and go a long way in uplifting your mood. P.S. they also suggest that sweet cravings are also linked with carrying a girl. Hmm.
- Ice: Not too common, but yes, women do crave about ice while expecting. Being anemic can make you crave for it as it soothes anemia symptoms like inflammation of the mouth. Now you know why your refrigerator isn’t producing enough ice!
- Pickles: Driven by low sodium? Nobody knows for sure. But pickle cravings are quite too common. Nevertheless, pickles are easily available and low in calories. Want to munch?
- Lemon: Yes, cravings for something sour are pretty common. Why? There is a lot going inside your body when you are pregnant and your taste buds change. Hence the cravings. Nevertheless, in India jokes abound linking pickle or lemon cravings with pregnancy.
- Soda: Not a typical pregnancy related craving but yes, immensely helpful when you are experiencing morning sickness. Carbonation happens to cool off your stomach and helps you feel relieved. Avoid sweetened beverages, though. You can opt for ginger ale or Sprite.
- Coffee: There is a lot of debate around whether you should take too much coffee during pregnancy. It decreases depression and relieves from headaches. You may want to consult your doctor before indulging with the cup of joy!
- Red meat: Low on iron or proteins? Yes explains craving for red meats. However, you may not want to pile on the pounds and get unhealthy in the process. Keep a tab on what goes inside your tummy.
- Juice: A little one is growing inside you, isn’t it amazing! Well, you may be short on certain vitamins in the process and crave for juices. No-added sugar juices should be perfectly fine. Go ahead and grab that glass!
- Dairy: Rich in protein and calcium, dairy items like yogurt, cheese and milk are among top cravings during pregnancy. Step ahead, grab that glass of milk or low fat cottage cheese and munch on.
- Crazy cravings: Do you crave unusual combinations during pregnancy? Or for non edible food like chalk? Well, going for it can be dangerous, both for the mother as well as for the baby. If you cannot figure out why, consult your physician.
P.S. You would appreciate that we are putting some effort in organising the posts and graphics. Feel free to get in touch with us on Facebook or Twitter or subscribing to our posts. We don’t spam.